Thursday 10 May 2012

What a beginning to a great journey!

Mum and I headed off for our adventure on our own just after a nice big English brekkie. We were bound for Lincoln today with a stop off in Nottingham and had a 3.5hr drive ahead of us so we needed the fuel.

We hired a car - it's called a vauxhall Astra which is really a Holden Astra and its quite a nice car to drive. We got to Nottingham easily and parked the car in a park and ride area. They have these over here where you park your car in a big car park and then catch the bus into the city centre so you don't have to find car parks and drive on the busy parts, you let the bus do the hard work for you.

So we got onto one of those and headed into Nottingham, home of the Robin Hood tale. We saw the Nottingham castle and cathedral and the oldest inn/pub in England. We mooched in the shops and had a nice walk and got back to the car. This is when our traumatic afternoon began!

We were driving and driving for what seemed like hours - in reality it ended up being 2 hours - and could not get out of the city. No matter which way we turned or where we went we never got to the road we needed. And my iPad/GPS didn't want to pick I my exact location - and I had no idea where we were - so we were lost in a city we didn't want to stay in. Mum and I didn't cope too well, but eventually found our way out. Not before a prickly incident tho!

I needed a wee badly, so I stopped the car and tried to squat behind it. I failed to looked before I squat and put my bum and bits straight into some stinging nettle. Ouch! I was stinging for hours whilst driving. It was funny for some but not so much for me funnily enough!

We eventually made it to Lincoln for a 2 night stay. We had a walk around the shops and had dinner in Nandos. Their menu is different so I enjoyed trying different stuff. They have a mango and lime basting spice which was spicy but awesome!

Tomorrow we explore Lincoln and my old haunts!

No comments:

Post a Comment