Saturday 21 April 2012

Later after Pompeii, pizza making and rude aprons!

After we settled in upon arrival to Sorrento we headed off for a local farm to have dinner and to see how they make their own local produce.

When we arrived we saw lots of farm animals, we saw ducks and geese, cows, dogs and we knew there were pigs there cos we were asked not to step in their grenades on the path!

We were introduced to the owner of the farm, Rosa. Rosa is a voluptuous beautiful woman who loves to talk, with her mouth and her hands lol. Rosa showed us how they used to make their own olive oil with a big stone and a pit where the juice was separated from the pulp and the seed. We were shown how all elements of the olive were used and what they are used for.

We were then introduced to her mother Maria. Maria spoke very little English but she knew the word for cheese and showed us how she makes mozzarella from scratch. It's amazing how the curds from milk are made into something so delicious. Once she showed us this 4 people from the tour group were selected for a pizza making demonstration. And of course I was one of those picked!

We were all given sexy aprons to wear, mine was a sexy French maids apron, Marie wore an Eve apron with leaves placed in appropriate places, Ben was given an apron with the statue of David figure on, and Ryan was given the same but parts of the anatomy of David's figure were much much bigger in stature! It was funny and everyone was squealing and laughing with joy!

I was first up to make the pizza, and as I have done this years ago whilst studying I knew I wouldn't do too badly. I kneaded my dough and shaped the pizza fairly well, and once made I was able to put it into the wood fired oven easily. Amazingly enough the pizza only took 1 minute to cook as the wood fired oven was so hot it cooked really quickly.

I had a great time and everyone seemed to enjoy that part of the night.

After this we sat down to dinner of tomato and mozzarella salad, I think it's called a caprese salad. Then we had the pizza I made for 2nd course. 3rd course was oven roasted chicken with rosemary potatoes, and last course was lemon cake soaked in limoncello; it was lethal!!

There were 2 corgi dogs who lived there owned by the farmers and they were hanging around under all of our tables looking for scraps of food. I would hazard a guess that they get fed by the tourists well as their bellies were almost dragging on the ground and they were just lovely. I kept patting them whenever they came near and they were soooo cute!

After this we had tastings of limoncello and it is like fire water so we both couldn't stomach it very well. We did try it though and contemplated brining some home but it would sit in the liquor cupboard forever so decided not to waste our money.

This night was my favorite part of the tour so far. I am sure I will continue to say this as the tour progresses but we all had such a ball this night that I'm not sure it can be topped!

1 comment:

  1. The mediteranian diet does you good, your glowin :-) xxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete