Saturday 28 April 2012

The Viennese waltz and fine dining, fine shopping too!

Today was a big day in Vienna city as we did a city tour and we went out afterwards for a night we will never forget.

We started off with a tour of hoffburg palace which is where the royals of Vienna resided. As we were a special tour group (that's code for paid more $$ so get first preference) we got the place to ourselves for around half an hour before any other tourists were allowed in. This made a huge difference as the crowds can really spoil an experience for you.

We saw so many lovely things in this palace, but my favorite was the gardens. Beautifully manicured and cared for, something I aspire to do but know I don't have the patience or organization skills to pull that off!

We then saw the sights of the city. Vienna is so much more relaxed than the other cities we have visited and this was a nice change for us, not to have to diligently watch who was near us trying to steal our bags or get into our pockets. We really began to enjoy being there rather than always having one eye on someone else.

Later that evening we were treated to a Viennese orchestral recital where we had a small orchestra playing gorgeous music from Strauss and Mozart and there were opera singers and ballet dancers also. This was great and something mum thoroughly enjoyed. I also enjoyed it as I love classical music but I had a tall person in front of me so seeing much became difficult so I used my ears instead. It was beautiful to listen to also.

We were treated to fine dining for this also, and dined on a 3 course meal of fancy dishes like beef terrine, salmon on pea risotto and strawberry tart. Yummo!

Tomorrow we head to Salzburg and Munich. I feel a viewing of a movie I swore I would never see in my life time coming up! Tune in for more on this tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment