Thursday 19 April 2012

Statue of David and Assisi - so much culture in one day

This morning we were off and going very early as we had an early morning viewing of the great statue of David and a decent drive to Assisi afterwards.

The statue of David is amazing. He apparently weighs almost 6 tonne and is almost 5 meters high. That is one hunk of a man when u think about it! Mum and I stood wondering at this magnificent sculpture for a little while and were sad to leave. We also saw a statue of medusa having had her head chopped off and the guy who did it (i should have listened more intently as i have forgotten his name) and i personally liked this one as it has a great story. Afterwards we headed out into the city of Florence and our destination was shopping!!

We could have spent thousands on leather or gold, however were able to hold back compared to a lot of our tour companions. The amount of money some of them spent in the leather and gold stores was phenomenal!

Mum and I bought small stuff, a small green leather bag for mum and a Swarovski crystal pandora charm for me. We surprisingly were also able to hold back on the tacky statue nick nacks vendors were selling along with David boxers with the anatomy part enlarged or the BBQ aprons where the body of David is on the apron and you pretend you have that body. Have to say that Florence has the shittiest souvenirs so far!

We then decided another thing the Italians do well other than gold and leather was lunch. Today we dined on lasagne and potatoes roasted in rosemary and sage and they were belissimo! We sat and ate lunch outside with a view of the church where Galileo and Michelangelo are buried and did some people watching.

We then began the drive to Assisi where we saw the Santa Maria basilica and the basilica of St. Francis; one of his sainthoods being the patron saint of animals which is kinda cool I think. I have injured my knee by falling over the other day so I only saw St. Francis' basilica from afar as the walk there would have me wheelchair bound for days I reckon.

Mum and I decided to look in the nick nack shops instead of walking to the basilica and I'm glad we did as we found some lovely little things to bring home. I got something special for someone I know which I am pleased about. Mum got a lovely angel and some postcards.

The room we are staying in is very old, the whole hotel is old actually, but the view from the balcony outside is gorgeous. You can see the whole of Assisi from up here and it's the best view we've had all tour. Tomorrow we head to Pompeii and finish the day in sorrento. Can't wait for Pompeii!

1 comment:

  1. This is the conversation I just had with Anna.
    Me: "Anna, when your a grown up, I think you and I should go to Italy"
    Anna: with a pensive look on her face and a long pause "Um, Ok.........but are there pirates there?"

    Her latest fear is pirates .

    Love the blue scarf by the way ;-) I'll have the biggest smile on my face all day now I have seen some blogs from Italy.

    ReplyDelete