Friday 13 April 2012

Ole Spain amigos!

We woke up in Madrid this morning after a great nights sleep. We got 2 double beds in this hotel room and we are staying here for 2 nights so we were mega happy about that.

We began our day with a city tour by bus as we drove to the Prado museum, where thousands of famous Spanish art works are displayed. We saw works by Goya (my personal fave), Murillo and Velasquez. We only saw a select few artists work, or we could have been there for weeks learning of all the pieces and their histories.

Never having been to an art gallery before, I had never discovered my new found appreciation and love of art and it's history. I loved this part of our tour and it has made me want to see more galleries and exhibitions as the tour progresses. My favorite pieces were by Goya of the naked Maja and of Saturn devouring his child. Pretty morbid stuff the second one but the story behind it is something to be in awe of.

Afterwards we headed out for a traditional Spanish dinner which consisted of gazpacho (ice cold tomato based soup) or pescadore (a fish based soup). Unfortunately our palettes were not yet ready for these choices so we settled on a salad and some veggie soup. Mains were suckling pig (which I tried and it was divine) and mum had lamb (which was huge and everyone wanted pictures of it which was weird). I couldn't decide between the pork and paella so decided i would try paella in barcelona, which we are heading to on saturday. Dessert was a bombe Alaska type thing, but to be honest dessert didn't phase us as just after mains we were greeted by a Spanish guitar/singing group of 3 who were to serenade us all for the evening.

The singing and guitar was amazing and we both thoroughly enjoyed every minute of this. The group were talented and could really sing and play, but they were funny too and it made for a wonderful evening. Mum and I filled up on sangria (me more than mum of course, my head next morning was not too good) and our first experience of Spain was unforgettable. We can't wait to experience Toledo tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment